Palm Sunday is the most political Sunday of the church year. I’m not talking about the Republican, Democratic, Independent, or Flat Earth Parties. Jesus rides into Jerusalem to confront the powers that be with a message of love, mercy and justice. What is our response?
Genesis 1 and 2 Creation Stories.
Exodus 3:7-8 God hears the cry of the people.
Exodus 20: 1-3 First Commandment: “You shall have no other gods before me.”
Acts 5:29 Obey God rather than human authority.
Romans 13:1-7 The Christian and the State.
Mark 12:17 God and Caesar
Luke 10: 25 The Good Samaritan
Luke 11: 3 Daily Bread.
The Biblical Message:
1. God works in our daily lives.
2. There is no social blueprint in the Bible for a Christian order or any order
3. How do we order and govern our life together as Americans?
Two Questions For Us:
1. Is it possible to distinguish those things that we must render to Caesar from those we must render to God?
2. What issues in the current national election has clarified or
clouded the issue for you?
“Man’s capacity for justice makes democracy possible but man’s inclination to injustice makes democracy necessary.” – Reinhold Niebuhr, UCC Theologian